- Create original works of art utilizing the Elements of Art and Principles of Design.
- Explore and discover how different cultures create and interpret works of art in different ways.
- Understand the role of art and artists in creation of work and in society.
- Identify, comprehend, apply, and evaluate artwork based on the language of art.
- Present and reflect on work in critiques using appropriate technology.
Projects/classwork: 60% Projects are classroom assignments. Projects will be graded on creativity, originality, clarity of ideas,
use and technique of assigned media, craftsmanship, attention to detail, and presentation.
Tests/Quizzes: 15 % Expect tests and/or quizzes on concepts, artists, cultures, and techniques discussed in class.
Participation: 15% Arrive to class everyday, on time, work for the entire period, give your best effort, and come with a positive
attitude. You sketchbook and completion of do now activities also fit into this criteria section.
Homework/research/prepared: 10% Students will be asked to bring in reference images, research topics as well as arrive to class prepared everyday.
DEADLINES: ALL projects will have a reasonable deadline for submission. Students will be given the opportunity to acquire extra studio time by request. Deductions will be made for late work. A project will not be graded unless it is complete.
FINAL EXAM: There will be a final exam given at the end of the course. This will count as an additional quarter grade.
Class Courtesy Rules:
- Arrive to class everyday, on time, and prepared for the day.
- Create a classroom community by respecting and helping classmates.
- Be reasonable and responsible for your behavior and work in the classroom.
- Keep your hands to yourself at all times, respecting everyone’s personal space.
- Listen while others are speaking.
- Coats and jackets may not be worn in class.
- Phones, MP3 players, headphones and hats are not permitted in art rooms.
Art Safety Rules:
- Food is not permitted in the classroom per national and local safety regulations.
- Handle all equipment with care and respect, equipment is fragile and can be easily damaged.
- Keep room clean and tools put away to ensure classroom safety.
- Students are required to attend class everyday and provide a pass when late.
- The district attendance policy will be closely observed.
All materials are available to be purchased at Blick Art Supplies as a class pack with a 40% discount automatically given for all Sewanhaka Students.
***BLICK WILL BE VISITING THE SHS ART DEPT AND STUDENTS WILL BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE “KITTED” SUPPLIES BY PAYMENT OF CASH, CREDIT CARD OR CHECK (Made out to Blick).***
**This will take place on SEPTEMBER 9th, 2014 from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. The cost of the supplies is $26.06**
- A spiral bound 9x12” sketchbook. Not small, no taped edges.
- 1 dozen #2 pencils (Tyconderoga is the best brand) no mechanical pencils please!
- 2 erasers
- 2 hand held sharpeners with plastic covers to hold shavings
- 2 black double sided Sharpie markers
- A box of 24 Crayola colored pencils. (not Prang or Rose Art)
- A box of Crayola Markers
- A pencil case to keep all supplies in.
** Bringing in the required materials will be your first grade!!**
BLICK ART MATERIALS
168B Glen Cove Road
Carle Place, New York 11514